If you’re familiar with the “clown world” meme, President Trump’s comments from a few days ago are not very surprising.
Here’s what the POTUS has said verbatim:
And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, you can — which you can do, either through the skin or in some other way. Then I see the disinfectant knocks it out in a minute, one minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs.”
Obviously, Donald Trump’s opinions should not be taken as professional advice, even if he talks about casinos or real estate. Truth be told, despite the mass media frenzy, he didn’t literally advocate for injecting cleaning products or disinfectants into one’s body to kill the Chinese flu virus. Also, it’s worth mentioning that UV light therapy is actually a thing, but this is another story.
As usual, the mainstream media doesn’t seem to love President Trump much, but then again, this is not shocking, not by a long shot. To make a long story short, during a press conference, President Trump floated the idea of using sunlight as in UV light and disinfectants to treat the modern-day plague, also known as COVID-19.
Trump did not advocate DIY healing methods, i.e. he didn’t say that people should try to inject themselves with alcohol, bleach or whatever substance to treat their infection at home, in the absence of a trained MD. He was just answering questions during a presser and then he asked the White House COVID-19 task force officials about potential cures for modern-day plague, including UV light and disinfectants. Even if this back-and-forth was completely taken out of context by the news media, as usual, we might add, Trump walked back on his comments:
“I was asking a very sarcastic question to the reporters in the room about disinfectant on the inside. But it does kill it, and it would kill it on the hands, and that would make things much better. That was done in the form of a sarcastic question to the reporters.”
Now, regardless of what you think about this extravaganza, the sun/UV light actually kills viruses and bacteria, as well as bleach and other disinfectants do. This is a scientific fact. However, after the internet exploded speculating whether Trump suggested this or that, some people started calling New York City’s Poison Control Center asking for directions regarding the health effects of exposure to various household chemicals.
According to NBC, 30 exposure calls were recorded following Trump’s news conference, with 9 on them specifically asking about Lysol, ten about bleach, and eleven about miscellaneous household cleaning substances. However, no caller died or required medical assistance for exposure to house cleaning products. Yet, companies like Dettol and Lysol issued public statements advising people to not inhale or drink their products. We know, this may sound redundant for anyone with an IQ above room temperature, but that’s the world we live in.
As a global leader in health and hygiene products, we must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route). As with all products, our disinfectant and hygiene products should only be used as intended and in line with usage guidelines. Please read the label and safety information.
Idiocracy aside, injecting yourself with disinfectants to cure diseases is a terrible idea. And there are actual people doing it, as per FDA’s April 17th temporary injunction in Federal Court, as the Food and Drug Administration ordered a group to, let me quote, stop selling “an unproven and potentially harmful treatment for COVID-19” made of bleach and called “miracle cure.”
Yes indeed, it’s 2020, and profiteers are selling naïve and gullible people miracle cures based on bleach and God-knows-what snake oil. So, yeah, this is a real problem, even in the day and age of the “on-demand information via Google”. Bleach based remedies are nothing new really, as the FDA warned about such solutions since 2010 when snake oil sellers advertised them as panacea capable of curing almost any known disease, ranging from autism to pedophilia in cats. All jokes aside, Sodium chlorite products are dangerous, and you and your family should not use them for treating disease, regardless of what you read on Facebook or wherever.
Yet, this is a very serious issue, and we’re talking about ingesting bleach-based products in order to cure disease. There are over 40,000 calls annually to poison control centers all across the United States related to poisoning with household bleach-based products, whether accidental or intentional ingestion, including inhalation of fumes.
Bleach toxicity is well known and researched, and it derives from its corrosive activity following contact with the skin and/or mucous membranes. It’s true that small ingestions are not likely to provoke significant toxicity, yet large ingestions are very dangerous, as they may cause severe (yet rarely fatal) gastrointestinal injury, plus various systemic effects, including hypernatremia, metabolic acidosis, and hyperchloremia. What does it mean? Well, in laymen’s terms, if you ingest, or worse, inject disinfectants into your body, depending on the quantity, quality, and one’s personal luck, you may end up with anemia, organ failure, blood clots, kidney injury or even cardiac arrest. Bleach specifically literally destroys red blood cells, which leads to anemia (the red blood cells cannot provide oxygen to your body/organs).
Moreover, bleach provokes inflammation if ingested or injected, alters the blood pH, and that’s what leads to kidney damage and possible cardiac arrhythmia/arrest.
Exposing skin to bleach-based products is also dangerous, especially if we’re talking about high concentration solutions which may lead to chemical burns. Alcohol toxicity is well known and studied, and we’re not talking about your home-made moonshine, but injecting/even drinking isopropyl alcohol, i.e. the stuff you find in rubbing alcohol and various other household disinfectants. The difference between moonshine/regular alcohol and isopropyl alcohol is that the latter is metabolized by the liver into acetone, which is highly toxic, as your body cannot break down acetone, which may lead to nervous system damage.
Truth be told, we don’t really know much about how badly one’s body would react to an injection with disinfectants, and that’s because exploring such avenue in clinical trials would be highly unethical. After all, who would volunteer to do such a thing, right? There are some stories heard in ER rooms about junkies shooting-up disinfectants due to urban myths claiming that such a method helps with cleaning blood impurities and reversing opioid overdoses, but all they accomplish is severe inflammation and blood cloths.
The lesson to be taken home is this: disinfectants are very important in certain situations, and when they are used properly, they are great and they do a good job of keeping our society safe and sound. However, by definition, a disinfectant (bleach, alcohol, Lysol, or whatever) is a biocide, which means it kills/disrupts living cells in biological systems. Injecting or drinking disinfectants is a no-no procedure.
If you’re getting ideas about miracle cures on social media or wherever, the best course of action would be to call your MD first, or at least do some proper internet research and look for the toxicity of a given substance. You must learn that there is no specific treatment for COVID-19, which is basically a coronavirus, the same stuff that gives you respiratory tract infections every year. There is no vaccine, no cure, no miracle drug, and seriously ill people are treated symptomatically, ideally on a case-to-case basis.
I hope the article helped. Stay safe, eat well, boost your immunity via supplements, vitamins, and minerals (C, A, D, zinc, selenium, magnesium), enjoy the sunshine (boosts your immune system), and don’t despair. Everything will be okay as long as you keep that bleach bottle away.