Even though you may have worked to grow crops or hunt for food, shortages can still occur. Fortunately, there are plenty of wild plants that are edible and capable of delivering an enormous harvest during the fall season. Here are 20 plants that should be part of your fall foraging and winter plans.
If you cannot find these in your local area, there are many others that may be suitable for you and your family to consume. Learning how to use and store these plants now can truly make living off the grid after a crisis much easier to manage.
How to Find Other Edible Plants
Even though you may think you can recognize certain plants in the wild, poisonous ones can easily fool you in a crisis situation. This is especially important to consider if you are passing through a geographic region that features plants you may not be accustomed to. Before cooking or eating any plant, it is best to use the Universal Edibility Test first.
Aside from helping you determine which plants are poisonous to humans, this test will also help you avoid consuming plants that you may be allergic to. Needless to say, even if a plant appears safe for you to consume, everyone in the group should do the same test after you in order to make sure they are not allergic to the plant in question.
No matter how traumatic a crisis situation may be, finding food is always going to be important. Regardless of where you happen to be, wild plants can be harvested during the fall season. While some may be easier to store than others, rest assured that they can easily help you live comfortably and well until other food sources can be grown or hunted.
This article has been written by Carmela Tyrell for Survivopedia.
- Storing Ammo: A Guide For Preppers - February 13, 2017
- 10 Ways To Prepare Your Tractor For Survival - February 8, 2017
- Design Your Own Weapon, In These 14 Steps - February 7, 2017
- Read This Before You Start Building An Utility Trailer - February 6, 2017
- 10 Reasons To Have A Sewing Machine - February 5, 2017
- Nuclear Survival: Bugging Out Safely After An Atomic Blast - January 15, 2017
- Vehicle Prepping: Replacing The Control Module Of Your Car - January 12, 2017
- 6 Basics To Follow When Building Your Weapons - January 9, 2017
- How To Prepare Your Tractor For An EMP - January 6, 2017
- 17 Ways A Prepper Can Reuse Motor Oil - January 2, 2017