Winter is here! The winter season and the holidays bring a lot of joy but the cold weather adds significant challenges to your prepping, such as health problems, home heating issues and even extreme situations when you have to survive a winter storm.
But you can overcome any challenge with the proper knowledge, with practice and experience, right?
Have you ever imagined how our ancestors survived during harsh winters? Well, for this week’s Prep Blog Review I’ve gathered four articles with winter survival tips, many of them inspired by the lessons of our great forefathers.
1. 15 Live Saving Tips for a Winter Bugout
“In 1939 the Soviet Union invaded Finland in what was called The Winter War. This war caused about 70,000 Finnish causalities with most of them being innocent civilians. As a result of this invasion many Finnish civilians were forced into a winter bug out in order to avoid death or being captured.
At the beginning of this invasion Finnish military went through towns and villages letting them know that they had 15 minutes to leave and burn down their own houses so that the Soviet army couldn’t use them for cover. They had to leave all of their belongings.
The Finnish people didn’t have time to sit down and put together a bug out bag list or even given the wealth of knowledge that we have in the preparedness community.”
Read more on Smart Prepper Gear.
2. Winter Storm Warning! Surviving a Winter Storm Trapped Outside
“Winter weather can go from beautiful to deadly in a matter of hours. Whether you’re on the road or in the wilderness on a winter camping trip, it’s important to know how to keep yourself and your loved ones safe when a winter storm warning is in effect and until the storm passes.
According to Farmers’ Almanac, the winter season for 2016-17 is expected to be much colder this year as opposed to last year.”
Read more on Survival Life.
3. 20 Herbal Remedies for the Winter Season
“While the winter season brings joy to both the young and the old as families come together, it also brings some health problems we shouldn’t ignore. We are all familiar with the common cold and the flu and we know they can strike when we are stressed or run down. The following herbal remedies will help you deal with all the problems the cold season may bring.
In this polluted world we have to be careful of what medicine we take as we are bombarded with chemicals every day, from every direction. I’ve been using herbal remedies ever since I can remember and I learned their secrets from my mother and grandmother. “
Read more on Prepper’s Will.
4. 7 Things Our Ancestors Stockpiled To Survive The Winter
“Life was hard for our ancestors — much harder than it is for us today. Most of them didn’t have running water and electricity to make their lives easier. These modern conveniences have changed our way of life, to the point where we often forget what people had to do throughout history in order to survive.
We look at survival today as something needed in a time of emergency, but to many of them, survival stared them in the face every day of their lives. That was especially true in the wintertime, when it wasn’t possible to glean what you needed from nature. Basically, if you weren’t ready for winter, you didn’t survive.
So our ancestors all became experts in stockpiling. They’d spend the warmer months preparing, so that when the cold winter months came around, they’d be ready. You could tell a lot about a family’s wealth and industry by that, as there were those who struggled through the winter and those who didn’t.”
Read more on Off The Grid News.
This article has been written by Drew Stratton for Survivopedia.
- Prep Blog Review: 100+ Gardening Secrets Revealed - March 25, 2017
- Prep Blog Review: Homesteading On A Budget - March 18, 2017
- Prep Blog Review: The Good & The Bad Food In Your Pantry - March 11, 2017
- Prep Blog Review: Quick Tips To Survive A Disaster - March 4, 2017
- Prep Blog Review: Food Lessons For Survival - February 25, 2017
- Prep Blog Review: 50+ Natural Heal-Anything Cures - February 18, 2017
- Prep Blog Review: Freeze Drying Or Dehydrating? - February 11, 2017
- Prep Blog Review: Best Practices For Storing Food - February 4, 2017
- Prep Blog Review: Are You Prepared For An EMP Attack? - January 28, 2017
- Prep Blog Review: 8+ Food Crops To Grow In Your Survival Garden - January 21, 2017