Whether you are a foodie or not, as preppers we all must deal with the food aspect of preparedness. We have to make sure our stockpile is well equipped not only with nutritional stuff, but also things that we enjoy eating and even some comfort foods whose only value will be that of making us feel better when SHTF.
This week we gathered 5 articles that will appeal to any prepper, but especially to those worried about their food stockpiles or lack thereof. Make sure to drop us a line in the comments section below to let us know what you worry most about when it comes to food preparedness.
1. 10 Tips For Rotating Your Food Storage
“You have heard it before, probably a hundred times during your prepping journey, but it is important to remind you again: Prepping is never done! It is a weekly task that shouldn’t be neglected. You can’t buy a bunch of food, water, and other supplies and leave it in the basement or the back of the pantry, forgetting it is there for years on end. You have to keep rotating your food storage.
Why, you ask? Well, we are going to talk about 10 things you should be doing on a regular basis to keep your food storage neat, tidy and fresh.”
Read more on Urban Survival Site.
2. To Eat or Not to Eat, that is the Question.
“Many of us are learning to forage. I personally think it is a very important skill for several reasons. First if you a on the go you will be able to id food along the road side. Second many weeds grow faster than veg gardens so they will be important to add to your food stock list.
But as we move I learn more about them I also see that there are many plants that have look a likes. And many plants that you would think you could but in a salad or soup…but they are poisonous. Although some plants that have these characteristics are edible many are not.(example is stinging nettle…it has fine hair and prickers but you can eat it)
Read more on Urban Prepper Chick.
3. What to Look for When Shopping for Food Storage
“With all of the varying complexities of food storage and food storage companies, it may be difficult to sort through and prioritize what is important and what is not. I don’t know about you but with the dizzying array of things to take into consideration, you just might want to throw you hands up in dismay and yell “help me!!”.
I do not claim to be an expert but over the years, I have learned some things about food storage and food storage companies. Setting aside the very real concern of where to store everything which is a separate topic altogether, today I want to break down what you should look for when shopping for food storage.”
Read more on Backdoor Survival.
4. Food Preservation: Sun Drying Fruits and other Foods
“The ability to preserve your own food without refrigeration is an important preparedness skill, it’s also something that’s fun to do and can help cut down on your grocery bills.
Sun Drying Foods
Sun drying is one of mankind’s oldest and most reliable ways to preserve food. Archeological sites in ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia show this method of food preservation has been used since 4,000 B.C.”
Read more on Off Grids Survival.
5. The Incredible Value of Spices, Especially for Preppers
“There are many times, during emergencies, power outages, flu pandemics, or even during civil unrest that eating out becomes unwise if not dangerous.
Yet, many American families have stocked kitchens, and live a life that requires that they eat out multiple times each week. This post is one of a several pronged attempt to examine this practice and gradually make some changes which allow eating at home as a safer, less expensive, and potentially a more pleasant experience.”
Read more on Rational Preparedness.
This article has been written by Brenda E. Walsh for Survivopedia.
- Prep Blog Review: Are You Ready For September? - August 27, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: Getting Back To DIY Projects - August 20, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: Surviving Zika – Myths And Reality - August 13, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: Knives, Guns and Camouflage - August 6, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: 32+ Ultimate Survival Allies - July 30, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: 2016 Survival Assessment (So Far) - July 23, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: 5+ SHTF Facts - July 16, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: The No.1 Priority in Surviving - July 9, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: 4th of July Special – American Ways - July 2, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: UK Left The EU. Now What? - June 25, 2016