There’s nothing quite as liberating and reassuring as knowing you don’t depend on a supermarket, the economy or the government to put food on the table today or the next month.
This week we gathered the best articles that will give you some ideas on how to go the independence way.
1. What Is Milk Kefir?
“(This week I have chopped up an excerpt from my book, Off-Off Grid Dairy, for you. This book is still in post production, but why not post teasers? I hope you enjoy. -T)
Milk kefir (pronounced kee-fir or keh-fir) is a cultured, fermented milk beverage that originated in the Caucasus Mountains of Russia. The original definition of the word kefir was- “good feeling”, probably because milk kefir makes you feel just plain good.
Kefir is a microbial-rich drink that works by restoring the inner ecology of your system. Strains of beneficial bacteria and yeast work together to make kefir a shot of antibiotics to your gut. ”
Read more on Process Driven.
2. How To Harvest Honey Using An Extractor
“Once your bees have filled your hives with honey for you, how do you get it out?
This is a question that most aspiring and novice beekeepers don’t know the answer to. If you’re curious to learn the answer, read on…
I had my first honey harvest of the year this past weekend, and I took pictures of the major steps along the way in order to create this primer and de-mystify things.”
Read more on Peak Prosperity.
3. Short-Term Food Storage for Emergency Situations
One of the biggest aspects of preparedness is food storage. Many people will argue that they won’t need any food stored because they can hunt, fish, garden and forage for food.
I would argue that you don’t necessarily know the emergency situation that may arise which could limit or totally inhibit your ability to do any of those.
Then what? Without any food stored away, you could be in dire trouble.
Forward thinking preppers always plan ahead for situations when you may need an emergency food supply.
What you store and how much you’ll need will completely depend on your family’s needs and tastes.”
Read more on Survival at Home.
4. Sow Revolution: Join The Grocery Store Rebellion
“Recently I wrote about how to break up with your supermarket and it really got me thinking. I like to say that I avoid shopping at the supermarket as much as possible, but is that really true? “As much as possible” is pretty vague. A better way to put it would be “as much as is convenient.”
I went through my pantry and realized, darn it, that we still purchase about 25% of our food at the supermarket. Another 25% or so comes from bulk vendors.”
Read more on The Organic Prepper.
5. Preserving: Everything You Need to Know About Canning, Drying, or Freezing
“Oh yes, you can do this. All you have to do is be prepared and have the right tools available and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Almost anything can be preserved in some kind of way, either, by canning, freezing or drying.
People think that canning or drying foods is scary and difficult, but just the opposite; it is healthy and easy. When you can, dry, and freeze the produce you have grown, you know absolutely everything that has gone into those vegetables and fruits.”
Read more on Game and Garden.
6. How To Diagnose A Tomato Disease
“It’s that time of year in the Northern Hemisphere. If you’re lucky you’ve got tomatoes. If you’re unlucky you’ve got tomato diseases.
When I’ve got a tomato problem I turn to Texas A&M AgriLife Extension’s Tomato Problem Solver.
What makes it handy is all the pictures. They’ve pretty much covered every tomato disease in pornographic detail.”
Read more on Root Simple.
This article has been written by Brenda E. Walsh for Survivopedia.
8,885 total views, 1 views today
- Prep Blog Review: Are You Ready For September? - August 27, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: Getting Back To DIY Projects - August 20, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: Surviving Zika – Myths And Reality - August 13, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: Knives, Guns and Camouflage - August 6, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: 32+ Ultimate Survival Allies - July 30, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: 2016 Survival Assessment (So Far) - July 23, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: 5+ SHTF Facts - July 16, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: The No.1 Priority in Surviving - July 9, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: 4th of July Special – American Ways - July 2, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: UK Left The EU. Now What? - June 25, 2016