Do you know your plants? I consider myself to be pretty savvy when it comes to using them for prepping. However, articles such as one of Theresa’s latest make me wonder what else I’m missing.
This week, I am proud to say I know some more edible plants, and I’m sharing my knowledge from the prepper community below.
I figured how to soothe poison ivy; how to use plants as medicine when SHTF and more. Please fell free to add more articles on this, if you find them valuable.
1. 12 Edible Plants In A Survival Situation
“There are many ways to forage for food in a survival situation. In a previous post I wrote about how you can eat bugs, insects, snakes and fishing to survive. Along with carrying food with you it is also valuable to know what types of food you can eat and which you should avoid. Getting sick is better than dying but if I had my preference I would prefer to stay as healthy for as long as I could.”
Read more on Survivalist Prepper.
2. 5 Natural Remedies to Soothe Poison Ivy Rashes
“If you spend any time outdoors, you know that poison ivy can grow just about anywhere and is the bane of all outdoor enthusiasts. 85% of the population has some sort of allergic reaction to poison. In all truthfulness, it is not the plant people are allergic to, but the oil in poison ivy, poison oak and sumac. All parts of the plant contain the oil, urushiol, which causes the bubbly, itchy rash. Once the oil makes contact with your skin through direct or indirect exposure (from clothing, shoes, or your pet), a rash can occur within 12 to 72 hours. Within that time, you will quickly regret that innocent brush with nature.”
Read more on Ready Nutrition.
3. How To Use Mulch In The Garden – The Secret To Weed Free Success!
“If you want to have less weeds, less maintenance, fewer headaches and more vegetables from your garden – then mulch in the garden is the answer! The list of benefits for utilizing mulch in the garden is long and powerful. It is a soil insulator, a moisture retainer and a weed suppressor. And when the right mulch is chosen – it has the added benefit of building incredible nutrients into your soil, leaving you with a more productive and healthy garden year after year.”
Read more on Old World Garden Farms.
4. DIY Antibiotics: What To Grow to Protect Your Health in a Crisis
“What will you do in a crisis without life saving medicine and antibiotics?
If society breaks down, hospitals, pharmacies and clinics will be unavailable, and the medicine you or a loved one need may be unavailable.
Clearly, this means you need to have to supplies on hand, particularly for anyone who is dependent upon insulin or other medications that can be deadly if disrupted.
But those supplies will only go so far. Something that is also important to do is become familiar with medicinal herbs and plants, and grow some of the ones that could be most useful to your family or network.”
Read more on WTSHTFAN.
5. Foraging For Survival: Wild Plants You Didn’t Know You Could Eat
“Every week, homeowners across North America spray their lawns with chemicals, killing plants that their grandparents and great-grandparents would have picked and eaten.
In fact, most homeowners likely don’t even realize that those “pesky weeds” are actually edible – and far healthier for you than many items already in the refrigerator.”
Read more and on Off The Grid News. Make sure to also press play to hear the podcast!
This article has been written by Brenda Walsh for Survivopedia.
1,269 total views, 1 views today
- Prep Blog Review: Are You Ready For September? - August 27, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: Getting Back To DIY Projects - August 20, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: Surviving Zika – Myths And Reality - August 13, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: Knives, Guns and Camouflage - August 6, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: 32+ Ultimate Survival Allies - July 30, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: 2016 Survival Assessment (So Far) - July 23, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: 5+ SHTF Facts - July 16, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: The No.1 Priority in Surviving - July 9, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: 4th of July Special – American Ways - July 2, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: UK Left The EU. Now What? - June 25, 2016