If you have a hammer and nails or a good drill, and a weekend afternoon, you can build your own chicken coop, spending less than the price of a new one or even for free.
Craigslist and local retail outlets are often a good source of used pallets, empty wooden crates and other scrap wood that you can get for free or at a minimal cost. You just need to know how to do it!
Chicken wire can be affordably sourced at a local hardware or farm supply store, along with a few hinges and a lock. With an afternoon of labor you can have a secure chicken coop for a handful of laying hens.
Here’s a really cool infographic from Urban Chickens Network about steps to take when building a chicken coop!
Click on the banner below if find out more about the homesteading secrets that helped our ancestors survive!
This article has been written by Gabrielle Ray for Survivopedia.
- Top 5 Versatile Foods To Survive Nowadays - October 28, 2016
- 13 Top Skills To Learn Now For Survival - June 29, 2016
- Here’s The Right Way To Build A Chicken Coop! - June 12, 2016
- Survival Gardening: What Grows Where - June 1, 2016
- 10 Foods To Solve Your Medical Crisis - May 18, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: 5 Easy DIY Projects For Preppers - April 9, 2016
- Prep Blog Review: Why Old Skills Have To Be Revived - November 28, 2015
- Prep Blog Review: Preparing For The Economic Meltdown - August 29, 2015
- 12 Survival Projects That Make You Wow - June 28, 2015
- Prep Blog Review: Survival Projects For The Summer - July 26, 2014